jBPM stands for Jboss Business Process Management. It is a framework which makes it easier to describe the business model, by using easy to understand flowcharts which can then be used by developers to actually code the application. We can easily include jBPM support into our Eclipse IDE, but we need to have Apache Ant installed in our PC.
We will be providing you with some more very easy tutorials in the coming days, to help you understand jBPM framework. So stay tuned. So now lets first start by adding Ant to our Windows PC after which we will include the jBPM 5.3 framework into our Eclipse IDE. We hope you have JDK installed already.
Adding Apache Ant to Windows PC
- Download Apache Ant (ZIP file) from its Official Website (http://ant.apache.org)
- Once downloaded, Unzip the file and save it permanently somewhere in the C drive. We advice you to create a folder named Apache inside the C drive and save Ant in the Apache folder.
- Now we need to set the Environment Variables. To set the Environment variable, right click on My Computer and select Properties. Click on Advanced System Settings option present at the left sidebar, and click the Environment Variables button at the bottom.
- Now, Add a new Variable into the System Variables called JAVA_HOME and set its value as the path of your JDK bin folder. (c:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.x.x\bin)
- This alone is enough, but as good practice we advice you to add to the existing PATH user variable (in which we add the JAVA path while intalling Java), the path of Ant bin folder also. So, it will be like, c:\Apache\Ant\bin ; c:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.x.x\bin
Eclipse setup for JBPM5 Plugin
- Download the jbpm 5.3.0.Final-installer-full.zip from the below location,(http://sourceforge.net/projects/jbpm/files/jBPM%205/jbpm-5.3.0.Final/jbpm-5.3.0.Final-installer-full.zip/download).
- Unzip it in your favorite directory.
- Copy your Eclipse folder under jbpm-installer directory.
- Open the Command Prompt
- Go to the jbpm-installer directory.
- Run the command ant install.droolsjbpm-eclipse.into.eclipse.
- This will install all the jbpm related applications and also install plugins for jbpm in the eclipse.
- Also run the command ant install.jBPM.runtime this will install the runtime for jbpm.
- The modified Eclipse can be found now at the jbpm-installer root directory.
- If you like you can remove the Eclipse from there and place it in your previous place.
- Now your eclipse is ready to create and edit jbpm 5 project.
- If you want to run the guvnor,designer and gwt-console application, run the command ant start demo.noeclipse.
If you face any problem with JBPM projects, do wait for our next tutorial in which we will give you a detailed Introduction to jBPM after which we will start with JBPM programming.